(enough for a small shared starter)
1/2 lb (225g) cleaned squid, tubes and tentacles, slice the tubes into 1/2" (1cm) thick rings
1/2 cup (80g) semolina or almond flour
1 tsp sea salt
Sunflower seed oil
1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- In a ziploc bag, combine the flour of choice, salt and cut squid. Shake around to coat thoroughly.
- In a small saucepan, pour in enough oil to fill about 3" (8cm) deep. Heat the oil for a few minutes, test with a single piece first to see if the oil is hot enough. It should sizzle rapidly.
- In batches, deep-fry the squid for a few minutes until crisp and lightly golden.
- Strain and set onto paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and dipping sauce.
I almost wonder if you could prepare and batter the squid the minute you get home and stick it in the freezer until ready to cook, must give that a try (someday).