If you leave out the chili peppers and cayenne pepper, the kids love this saucy, flavorful dish! It's is a tasty way to "Eat the Rainbow" with a plethora of vegetables: eggplant, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, summer squash, zucchini and/or broccoli.
Although it's an amazing meal with just plant protein, if you feel you need to add meat, then add a bit of chicken, lamb or beef stew meat.
For a grain-free/paleo alternative, eat this with Cauliflower Rice.
If using meat, otherwise skip these steps:
8 boneless, skinless free-range chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized cubes and lightly seasoned or 1.5 lbs lamb or beef stew meat
- Season the meat with salt and set aside.
- On high heat in a pan coated with oil, brown all sides of meat, 6-8 minutes (in batches, if necessary)
- When browned, remove meat from pot. Add a splash of water and using a wooden spoon, scrape off any bits sticking to the bottom (de-glaze). It may seem like a lot of transferring of food, but this is the best way to make sure you can scrape all the yummy bits at the bottom and incorporate this into the sauce. It also prevents the bottom of the pan from burning.
1 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
2" piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2-4 small green chili peppers, seeds removed (optional)
1½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ -1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 Tbsp rice flour or arrowroot flour
1 tomato, chopped
6 or more thick carrots, peeled and cut into 2"-3" chunks
2 or more potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 tsp sea salt
Vegetables! (approx 2 cups) eggplant, sweet potatoes, okra, cauliflower, summer squash, zucchini and/or broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
½ cup frozen peas
- Coat bottom of 6-quart dutch oven (casserole) with olive oil.
- Sauté onions, garlic and ginger until onions are soft. Remove from pot and set aside in medium-sized bowl.
- Return the onion mixture, add chilis, spices, and flour. Sauté for a minute.
- Return meat to the pot, and add chopped tomato, carrots and potatoes. Fill with enough water to cover all the ingredients by about half an inch (1cm).
- Bring to a boil, skim off any foam that rises up to the surface for the first 5-10 minutes. Turn down heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add your chopped vegetables 15 minutes before serving so as not to overcook them.
- Finally, add the peas at the last minute, for that additional green vibrance to your meal.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or cauliflower rice.